Friday 2 July 2010

Birdlip, Brimpsfield; 2nd July 2010

Today's journey could easily have been about 2 Km long and of no real interest and not worth blogging.  But not if you go this way.


From Hucclecote to Birdlip there are two reasonably obvious ways to get to Birdlip.  One way is my normal climb past Prinknash Abbey before turning left, almost back on yourself, through Cranham Wood.  A long climb about 12Km in total.  The other way is up through Witcombe and likely to shred your lungs and cause your leg muscles to spontaneously explode.  Fearing the mess, I choose the longer way.  Take a look at the elevation profile.  My chosen route is approximately Km 1-12, the alternative is the way I came down and is 17.5 to 21 Km.  You get the picture.




First destination is the village of Birdlip and, approaching from Buckholt Road, the first real sign of the village is the Royal George.  A curious mix of a place.  A proper locals pub also welcoming for passing trade including walkers and cyclists, although it is right on the Cotswold Way so I guess there is a fair amount of rambling trade.  Also, a popular venue for weddings and a corporate type conference centre.  The existing pub was built around a (probably) 17th century coaching inn.


Moving on into the village is one of the smallest churches ever.  The Parish church of St Mary.  Originally Birdlip was served by a mission church built in 1897.  A tin shed type of building although immaculately equipped inside.  The church sadly burnt down in 1954.  The village was devastated and, undeterred, the vicar, the Revd. H.D. Atkinson spearheaded a campaign to raise the money and build a new church out of stone (not a three little pigs story, I promise).  The site of the church moved its current location and building started in 1957 by which time the vicar had sadly died.  His widow laid the foundation stone on 25th May 1957.  This stone is in the porch  of the building.


Leaving Birdlip, I head for Brimpsfield.  Before I do though, it is worth noting that in common with many areas consisting of smaller villages, there is a Benefice connecting the churches.   These separate parishes are Birdlip, Brimpsfield, Syde, Daglingworth, The Duntisbournes, Winstone, Miserden and Edgeworth.  I shall have to find the others another time.

The road to Brimpsfield is an experience.  There is a mini valley between the two villages.  The roaddrops down at a precarious angle before climbing again at a similar angle.  Arriving in Brimpsfield, I can see no sign of the church.  There is a house called 'The old Post Office'-you see, village post office closures are nothing new, a memorial cross and a load of chickens wandering around in the road.  However, no sign of a church.  Now, I am sure there is a church here somewhere so I ask the local chap loading his car.  He kindly points me in the right direction.  Turning into the road I was directed into, the kindly chap runs behind shouting to tell me I have missed the turning.  Bemused, I stop.  Friendly bloke is a little way behind me so it would be a bit rude to hold a shouty conversation.  There is, however, an older woman stood at the bus stop.  I'm reasonably sure she wasn't there 3 seconds earlier.  Lady tells me to be careful as there is a bus coming that is more or less the width of the road.  Thoroughly terrified at the thought of being turned to jam by the bus, I ask her if she can direct me to the church.  I am then privileged to be given a potted history of the village and how it grew around the church which in turn was built on the site of a much older, probably iron age motte castle.  Maybe she remembers all this first hand?  Given the amount of Iron age settlements in this area this sounds reasonably likely.  Anyhow, the woman points me down a 'road' that apparently leads across the old site to the church.  It's just a dirt track.  You really do need to know the church is there.  Even when you are proper close, you can't see the church.
However, the effort is worth it.  St. Michael's church, built from local Cotswold stone, boasts a Norman nave and chancel, further additions made through to the 14th century with the battlemented tower built circa 1500.  The church was restored in the 1880s.  The churchyard is a large sprawling area with tree lined and arched pathways.  There are a number of tombs and sarcophagi back to early 18th century.  All that being said, the church is a beautiful building and set in glorious peaceful surroundings.


I return to Birdlip on the same roller coaster and descended through Witcombe, the previously described hill back into Gloucester.


Total distance - 26 KM

Average Speed - 25 KM/h
Weather - about 24C, Dry and sunny, wind from SW, about 10 KM/h

No comments:

Post a Comment