Tuesday 27 April 2010

Painswick, Brookthorpe via Spoonbend hill 26th April 2010

Several times I have been to or very near to Painswick now without actually going in to the village.  I have decided to skirt around the village and visit some of the surrounds and will (I promise) take a trip into Painswick and do Pitchcombe and Edge at the same time.  Truth is, I know there is a sod of a climb out of Painswick whichever way you go and adds some distance to the ride.  However, in an attempt to avoid the village, I was rewarded with some of the most spectacular views and an equally spectacular oddity.  More of that later.



If there is an easier way to get to Painswick Beacon, it is the way I went today and have indeed ridden before.  Leaving Hucclecote, along Ermin Way and continuing up Painswick Road past Prinknash Abbey.  Carrying on, I pass the road to the Beacon passing Catbrain Quarry.  The next road on the right leads towards Painswick golf club, anyone who knows me knows that this will be of very little interest.  The imaginatively named Golf Club Lane is a narrow little road, yet Google Street View did take their car that way, and passes the cemetery with its own chapel.  This, unsurprisingly, is my first stop.  A curious little chapel sits on the West edge of a substantial cemetery.  I can see little information on the cemetery or the chapel although a glance around the site confirms that there have been burials there since the mid 19th century and is still in use; it appears to me that the chapel is from the same era and, I presume, is purpose built as a cemetery chapel rather than ever having performed any other church function.  A squint through the windows shows that the chapel in the southern part of the building (on the right in the second photo) is still in use, the third picture being a rare internal shot by my blog's standard was taken through the window that you can see my bike under.  The other half of the chapel seems to be occupied by builders and maintenance paraphernalia.  Leaving the cemetery grounds and continuing along Golf Club Lane, a reasonably flat section of road, I am on the other side of Painswick Beacon.  Turning right onto Stockley Way and the road takes a gradual uphill climb again to the entrance road back up to the top of the Beacon.


A few hundred yards further and I take a left turn into Sevenleaze Lane.  This is another single track road and a road with which I am unfamiliar.  This road passes through Cud Hill Common from where we have some of the most beautiful and panoramic views north over the east part of Gloucester, including Hucclecote from where the journey started, and further on with a good view of the Malverns on the left of this picture round to Cleeve Hill on the right; in the middle distance is Chosen Hill.




Slightly further on and we have the oddity I alluded to at the beginning.  Detmar Blow, who bought much of the land in this area in the 1920s chose to be buried a couple of hundred yards along the lane towards Edge.  He erected a folly which frames the view of the cathedral in Gloucester (although you can't see that in my photograph).  Apparently, a choir from the cathedral sang at his funeral atop the hill.  The top of the folly is inscribed with Psalm 121 v. 1 and reads "I lift up my eyes to the hills; where does my help come from" and, ignoring any religious beliefs you may or may not have, sit a while in the folly (although you'll have to crawl under the barbed wire if you come from the road) and just take it all in.





Carrying on along this road, you will find yourself on Stroud Road.  Turning right takes you back towards Gloucester.  A long downhill but with such a surface that you will find your teeth are rattling out if you go too quick.  A few patches of recent tarmac provide a couple of hundred yards of relief.  Soon you will find yourself in Brookthorpe heading towards Tuffley.  The road surface smooths and the ride still quick and far more pleasant.  However, we will cut this short and stop at Brookthorpe.  A very small wooden sign points into what appears to be a private drive.  On it is simply written 'Historic Church".  I can't pass that by.  Although I have travelled this road many times in the past unaware of its existence.  The church in question is St Swithun's, Brookthorpe, sitting behind Brookthorpe Court.  Dating back to around 1250, I think we can confirm its claim to being historic.  A notice in the church porch also informs us that there are records of incumbents dating back to 1260.  The church was extensively renovated in 1892 at which time the North Aisle was added.  The church is no longer in use but is still consecrated and is managed by the Churches Conservation Trust. As well as the church, there are a number of tombs in the grounds that are also listed.

I've also thrown in a picture of some of the etched graffiti around the doorway as well.  There are a number of other places of interest on or near this ride, as ever, but only so much time.  I notice today that it takes me near on two hours to do what is one hour in the saddle.  It's just too easy to be taken in by some of these churches or other buildings or even to simply sit in the sun and admire the view.

Still, time waits for no man and I have ten minutes to get back to Barnwood where Tina, my good lady wife, will be finishing work and we will take a casual bimble home together.  Is there a better way to spend your Monday Afternoon?  If there is, I don't think I know it.





Total distance - 35
Average Speed - 26 KM/h
Weather - about 18C, Warm and dry, Gentle Easterly wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment