Sunday 11 April 2010

Witcombe, Leckhampton, Cowley, Hardwicke 8th April 2010

Anyone who knows the Gloucestershire area may think that there is very little link between the first three of today's destinations and the last.  You're right.  With scant regard to other's fears over my sanity (you know who you are), I had two rides today.  The first a little hilly, the second after getting home, deciding the weather was far too good and going out again, this time accompanied by Anthony on a shorter much gentler pootle.
So to the rides.  I spent a fair chunk of my Bank Holiday Monday cleaning and lubing my bike so I'm happy to report she was all shiny and made that very satisfying gentle rustling noise from the gears.
Leaving, as is often the case, from Hucclecote, I rode through Brockworth and on out to Witcombe, this time to visit the reservoirs that I mentioned here.  The reservoirs consist of three bodies of water formed by dams, originally built in the mid 19th century on the site of a mill.  Now the reservoirs are popular with fishermen and are also a prolific breeding ground for certain types of waterfowl.  The photograph is taken from a path running through the middle of the reservoirs looking roughly South towards the Roman remains and Cooper's Hill wood and farm.  A thoroughly pleasant 15 minutes or so were slightly marred as I left the site.  I cycled at near walking pace to avoid a large 4x4 approaching, the occupant flicking a discarded (though still smoking) cigarette end out of the window.  Sure the car had stopped, I made to leave.  As I did, the ageing rotund occupant leapt from the drivers door leaving it open and shouted at me "I say are you lost?" (sorry, can't write in a plumby accent, you'll have to imagine it).
"No, came here on purpose to have a bimble round the reservoirs.  Lovely aren't they?"
"Didn't you see the sign saying this is a private road.  There are young horses you know"
"Yes" I lied.  "But this is shown on Ordnance survey as a right of way so I guessed the sign is not legal nor binding"
"It's a private road, you can only cycle on bridleways and this isn't even a footpath"
"I am aware of the legal position, I am a sitting judge"  Not the whole truth.
"You might scare the young horses.  At least push your cycle or you'll scare them"
"Surely no more than a 4x4 or burning fag?"
"You're breaking the law"
"If you want to take it further, I'll happily settle it in court".
Frankly, I have no idea of the legal status of the sign, I do know the road is shown on the OS map though.  That being said, if you only have half truths sound convincing.

Leaving Great Witcombe, I head North to Bentham where I noticed a church on the OS map and was, in my narrow, Anglican way, surprised to see that it is a Greek Orthodox Church.  I would expect to see these in the City but seems a bit unusual in a small village.  I may be wrong.  The churchyard is still dedicated to St Peter in The Church of England but the church is now owned as St John Chtysotom Greek Orthodox Church of the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain.  Catchy.  This is only a recent development, the Greek Orthodox assembly previously having shared the church building with St Luke's in Cheltenham.  I can find little information about the church but the graveyard and other evidence suggests that this is no older than early 19th century but I'm willing to be shot down in flames.  Unfortunately, my photographs were rubbish so here is one that I am allowed to use so long as I credit the originator, I reckon a link to where the photo came from should suffice.

Cycling north away from Bentham on Shurdington road, en route to Leckhampton, I am passed by Billy Bad Boy in his super souped Citroen Saxo (or similar), resplendant with exhaust the size of your head (you need that to get rid of all those gasses from a 1.1 engine.  Spotty youth mate leans out of the window and shouts "Nice arse".  Now, he isn't wrong, but surely that sends somewhat mixed messages about Billy's sexuality.


Next stop is a personal favourite of mine for many reasons.  We're off to Leckhampton, stopping at St Peter's church.  Not only was I privileged to be best man at a very good friend's wedding here in 2006 but it is one of the most peaceful and picturesque locations you can imagine, so long as you don't turn around to the rather ordinary looking row of houses not to mention the jolly ugly industrial units that house the auction house.  Looking East from the church, you can see right across to Leckhampton Hill although not quite a clear view of Devil's Chimney but there is an excellent walk to the old quarry where Devil's Chimney is located, maybe a mile or so each way from where you can get excellent views.  I shall just give a quick run down of the church because it has a massive history tied in with the now Sue Ryder Hospice at the neighbouring Leckhampton Court.  The earliest part of the church dates back to the 12th century although there has been some modification made, notably in the 19th Century.  I found plenty of inscriptions in the graveyard back to early 18th Century although I believe that there are older inscriptions.  There is also this rather grand monument (pic left) which, among others, suggests to me that there are also burials of some importance and certainly for high clergy.  If you want to know more about the church, they have an excellent website or you could buy the book.

View across the churchyard to Leckhampton Hill.








Leaving the church, I cycled to the end of the imaginatively named Church Road which the church sits on.  If you turn left, it will take you towards the centre of Cheltenham.  Right will take you up Leckhampton hill.  I turned right.  This hill is a bit of a slog, 5 kilometres uphill although I still maintain that on the whole it isn't a terribly difficult climb except for the first 1/2 Km or so where it is quite steep and does take it out of you a bit.  A couple of kilometres up, I opt to take a left and head towards Cowley.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to stop at the villages en route - we'll leave that for another day.  I do, however, stop briefly to admire the views across to the Malvern hills in the distance.

Somehow or other, the road I follow drops me off at Birdlip, where I also haven't stopped for pictures, and I return to Hucclecote downhill through Witcombe.  The road here offers good views across the reservoirs where we started today.  If you look really hard to the left of the photo, you can just about make out the Roman Villa where we were last year.



Total distance - 32Km
Average Speed - 26 KM/h
Weather - about 16C, dry and sunny, No noticeable wind.


After going home, we decide the weather is far too good to waste so Anthony and I decide to take a bimble.  A much more leisurely ride on the more or less flat.  We leave Gloucester, head out to Quedgeley and cross the canal on Rea bridge, this was right at the start of my driving instructor part two test when I passed.   Although, I also came this way on the first attempt when I failed.  Apparently, there are sixteen bridges along the length of the Gloucester-Sharpness canal the length of which does now supposedly have usable tow path, and I reckon that one day it would be a cracking idea to do the lot.  

After crossing the bridge, the road takes us towards the river which we follow for a while, sharing the road with a significant number of learner drivers and those taking their test.  We only take the road as far as Sellars Bridge, the next crossing.  From Sellars Bridge, we head towards Hardwicke which of late has become sort of joined to Quedgeley, both having grown out of all proportion since the 1980s.  

We, however are heading for the old bit.  And, for those who know me, no surprises, means the parish church.  In this case, it is the parish church of St Nicholas; one of the three churches of the Benefice of Hardwicke and Elmore (St Laurence) with Longney (St John The Baptist).  The other two of which we visited here.
A church has been recorded in Hardwicke since the 11th century, the earliest evidence though at the current buiding dating from lateish in the 12th century and came under the curacy of Standish (where we must go sometime as well).   The church has undergone many changes since this time and was restored in the mid 19th century.  The lych gate was erected in 1921 as a monument to those that lost their lives in the First World War and the role has been maintained sadly showing local losses right up to the current conflict in Afghanistan.  Again, there is much more information on  the three churches of the Benefice on their website.

The return journey from here takes us through the newer part of Hardwicke, through Quedgeley and home.


Total distance - 15Km
Average Speed - 28 KM/h
Weather - about 16C, dry and sunny, No noticeable wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment