Wednesday 13 January 2010

Witcombe and Brockworth 26 November 2009

As you might expect for the time of year, another wet chilly day but undaunted, another local ride.

Simple ride this one, takes in both Little Witcombe which is a pretty little place with St Mary's Church as the kind of epicentre, a proper picturesque village church.  Behind the church, though not accessible from the village by bike are the Witcombe reservoirs which in turn lead on the Roman Villa where I was in an earlier blog.  Good walk through there but not accessible on a bike, I suspect that access is footpath only.  Be aware that a large part of the Witcombes area is still agricultural and doesn't see much regular traffic, therefore, particularly in the wet the roads can be covered in mud and less savoury deposits.  Can be quite slippy.

Leaving little Witcombe, you could head off uphill towards Birdlip.  It is a proper uphill and one that shouldn't be tackled by a fat unfit middle aged man.  I therefore head off out through Great Witcombe onto the Shurdington road and back towards Churchdown, returning towards Gloucester via Brockworth Road where next stop is St George's church.  However before we get onto that, let me tell you a little about my cycle computer.  It is a Trek Incite 11I.  Apart from the normal functions, speed, time distance, etc it also shows cadence.  It is a few years old and is on it's third battery, I believe.  It has suffered the rigours of my riding and the weather but on this ocassion it surpassed itself.  Rather cack handed, i knocked it off the bracket trying to change the function.  I watched it bounce on the road before being run over by a car.  Bugger.  The damage - the displays reset and a couple of scars.  Plug it back in and it works like nothing happened.


So to St George's, Brockworth's parish church sits between the Tithe barn and allotments just on the edge of the village and was, incidentally, the venue for my first marriage.  I don't hold that against the place, it is still everything a parish church should be.

Total distance - 20Km
Average Speed - 24 KM/h
Weather - about 10C, Rain, South Westerly wind

1 comment: