Wednesday 13 January 2010

Churchdown and Brockworth 24th November 2009

The description of this ride and the numbers at the bottom don't even start to tell the story of this ride.  If you read the previous entry about Witcombe, you'd have thought I'd have learnt a lesson.  I haven't.  My walking routes don't necessarily make good riding routes.


I don't know how familiar you are with Churchdown, nestling as it does on the outskirts of Gloucester.  Churchdown has the outstandingly beautiful St Bartholomew's Church at the top of the hill.  I'm not sure if you picked up on the salient point there.  When I say top of the hill, it does have a road of sorts leading up to it and that's the way I rode.  The road takes the most direct route from bottom to top, i.e. straight, no deviation.  Whilst walking to it from any direction, you can meander up and round the hill, the road is different.  Add to this the fact that it is pouring with rain and the road surface is about as slippy as it gets, I manage to wheelspin my bike several times on the way up.  And don't be lulled into a false sense of security, the trip down is pretty hairy in such conditions as well.  I don't know if the picture can do it justice.

But, moaning aside, if you make the effort, the views from the top and of the church itself are well worth it, although again, I doubt the pictures do it justice.  A little further round are a couple of reservoirs and an old transmitter station still used for BBC Radio Gloucestershire, I believe.








Total distance - 18Km
Average Speed - 23 KM/h
Weather - about 10C, Rain, South Westerly wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment