Wednesday 13 January 2010

Witcombe and Twigworth 9th November 2009


I make no apologies that this post is more or less a copy of another post in an earlier blog, but hey, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.  This is a retelling of my first ride for a while, having discovered the delights of slowing the pace down somewhat.


Weather was OK so I thought it would be rather pleasant to go have lunch at Witcombe Roman Villa, just a couple of miles from the office. Now, I rather like the villa, it is always peaceful and very picturesque. I have been there many times before although only in the car or by walking across the Cotswold way in dry weather. Never did it occur to me that the access road is, essentially, a working farm track. My bicycle is a lovely slick racing machine with tyres no wider than a gnat's pube. It now looks like a rough old cyclo-cross thing.


Plenty of time to spare so next off through Bentham and Shurdington before passing around Cheltenham and Down Hatherley and returning down Tewkesbury Road stopping off at the very picturesque St Lawrence's Church, Twigworth where WWI poet Ivor Guerney is buried

Still, a pleasant meander, 25ish miles and feeling the affects after not riding for a few weeks. Reminds me of a David Letterman interview with Lance Armstrong after winning his 487th (or thereabouts) Tour de France:
"So Lance, how do you feel after winning the tour again"
"I've got a sore arse Dave"
There ends the similarity.

Total distance - 40Km
Average Speed - 22 KM/h
Weather - about 5C, showers, Northerly wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment